William P. Sorensen, DDS, MS
William Sorensen, D.D.S., M.S. has practiced periodontics in Ann Arbor since 1975. He is proud of his longstanding commitment to the Ann Arbor community.
Dr. Sorensen completed his Doctorate of Dental Surgery at the University of Michigan School of Dentistry in 1972, then served as Clinical Instructor in the Department of Operative Dentistry in 1972. He remained at the University of Michigan to complete his specialty training in Periodontics in 1975. He was recognized for his academic excellence with the Max Winslow Award in Periodontics and as a member of the OKU Honors Society.
Dr. Sorensen has continued his commitment to clinical excellence. In 1981, he earned the status of Diplomate of the American Board of Periodontology. Diplomate status is earned through comprehensive written and practical examination and is the highest recognition awarded in periodontics. You can be assured of exceptional care as a patient under his care.
Dr. Sorensen is an active member of all relevant professional organizations, including:
- American Academy of Periodontology (Trustee, District IV)
- American Academy of Implant Dentistry
- American Dental Association
- International Congress of Oral Implantology
- Michigan Dental Association
- Michigan Periodontal Association (Former Chair, Committee on Peer Review)
- Midwest Society of Periodontology (former President)
- Washtenaw District Dental Society (former President)
- Russell Bunting Periodontal Society (former President)
On a Personal Note:
Dr. Sorensen is married and the father of five children, (several of whom are likewise pursuing careers in the health sciences). In his free time, Dr. Sorensen enjoys skiing or fly fishing.
Dr. Stephen J Meraw
Dr. Stephen Meraw received his Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the University of Detroit Mercy, where he was Senior Class President and recipient of the Thurbor Alumni Award for Clinical Excellence. He then completed his Internship in Hospital Dentistry and Residency in Periodontics at the the top 2 medical institutions in the country, the Johns Hopkins Hospital and the Mayo Clinic, respectively. He also earned a Master’s degree in Biomedical Sciences from the Mayo Graduate School of Medicine, and later a second Master’s degree in Health Care Management from Harvard University.
Dr. Meraw is a recipient of the Kramer Scholar Award, which is awarded each year to the top clinical Periodontal graduate in the United States from the American Academy of Periodontology Foundation. He is a Board Certified Specialist, also known as a Diplomate by the American Board of Periodontology, and has served on the faculty of the University of Michigan School of Dentistry for the past 16 years.
An active member of organized dentistry, Dr. Meraw has served in many leadership positions (below), as well as an active volunteer, consultant to the Veterans’ Administration, and published author.
- President, Michigan Periodontal Association
- Trustee, American Academy of Periodontology
- Trustee, Michigan Dental Association
- Past President, Bunting Periodontal Society
- Past President, Detroit District Dental Society
- Past President, Midwest Society of Periodontology
- Past President, Detroit District Dental Society Eastern
- Past Examiner, American Board of Periodontology
Outside of his dental interests, Dr. Meraw is a husband and father of three. He has coached baseball, softball and soccer, and is a regular runner & tennis player.